Update by user Jan 27, 2013

Don't know where that $2 came from. It was quite a bit more than that.

Update by user Jan 27, 2013

I was called to perform 180 days of continuous active duty, and my spouse is not a reservist, he is regular active duty. We clearly fell within the statutory protection, and yes, we notified the appropriated authorities.

Original review posted by user Jan 26, 2011

I am a reservist who was recalled to extended active duty. My status clearly qualifies me for protection under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. I sent Discover Card a copy of my orders and other documentation they requested within the required time period. In fact, I sent my orders on five separate occasions. Each time, I received a boilerplate response from Discover with an excuse why they did not have to comply with the law.

On two occasions, I received a response that my reserve service (which was active duty -- I worked alongside my regular Air Force counterparts and put myself in harm's way just like them) did not qualify, and/or that only my husband could get protection. I wrote back each time, explaining they were making an error in law, and providing my orders once again.

Now the statutory time period (180 days) for filing for protection has expired, and they are denying my request on that ground. When I called to explain that I had already sent my orders in a timely manner, I got connected with a very hostile customer service supervisor, who pretty much blew me off.

I give Discover Card a D- for how it deals with servicemembers. Discover -- shame on you for not following the law.

Had an Experience with Discover Bank?

Comments

Richardson, Texas, United States #599778

All of this because of $2.00 Funky DOLLAR'S WTF IS your complaint.You mean to tell me ,You do not have $2.00.OMG.A child you do not need PERIOD.

I am shocked and appalled at their attitude.Stay away from Discover Credit cards or Chase banks, for that matter.

I am so sorry that they are such a pain in the a**. I hope you will be able to appeal to them again. This time, send it certified mail. That should acknowledge the mail they received, instead of their constant denial of not receiving your mail.

Good luck!!Also, hope your husband is safe when he's on his mission and assignment abroad.

LadyScot
to Sharon Naples, Florida, United States #599898

Sorry but military or not when you sign a contract you are bound to that contract.No one forced those military to sign those contracts.

And poster, YOU clearly put on the original statement that YOU were a reservist called to extended active duty, NOT that you were called to PERMANENT active duty.

Only permanent active qualify for the relief.

Again, I posted the link, READ the statute.IF you are unsure, again, I posted the link to the justice.org site.