2.4
Additional Fees
Interest Rate

I had traditional IRA with Discover Bank for nine years. My deposit automatically rolled over for another term as previous term. Understanding Discover Bank has heavy early withdraw penalty, I contacted Discover Bank to make sure it will not get rolled over on July 6th (Friday) for another new term.

The misleading part is that on page 3 of its letter advising about outgoing transfer fee ($30 exclude IRA deposit) which is implying that wire transfer will be made at no cost. However, on July 5th, one day prior to maturity, I called to make sure it will be wire transferred out, I was advised that the outgoing amount including the last interest payment is "set up as default to send out via regular mail and may take 5 to 7 business days. I asked to be wire transfer so I will start to earn interest at my next financial institution. I was told that it is too late to do wire transfer out.

Essentially Discover Bank on the letter make it very nice offering great service, but in reality Discover Bank is taking advantage of "the float" from the depositor - the interest would have earned by the depositor. Essentially Discover Bank used my fund paying no interest until the check sent in mail is cleared.

I pressed for Discover Bank to compensate the interest from float but going nowhere with its customer service department. Through the conversations I sensed that this misleading and possible deceptive practice had been the "norm" of how Discover Bank operates because they will tell me per agreement Discover Bank is not obligated to pay. But in your letter, as material disclosure, why don't you clearly tell me to choose wire transfer the request must be made by the depositor and by when.... I can not prove the deceptive practice but I am highly suspicious of the ill intention of Discover Bank.

Any suggestion? Frank

Reason of review: integrity on fair disclosure.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Cheap trying to earn float from depositor.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 11.

Comments